[Samba] Map to Guest not working

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Apr 20 04:14:11 MDT 2015

Am 20.04.2015 um 00:24 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> First, I don't see "guest ok = yes" on your share.
> Second, try with "map to guest = bad user", if you don't want to fix the link
> to your domain proper.

And probably you must also make sure that the user specified at "map to
guest" actually exists, and has read permission in the shared directory.

However even with everything configured correct, it can still feel like
behaving erratic, asking for password when it should not.

I think this is because two effects interact: Windows always first tries
to log you on with your windows userid, and Samba always accepts local
users in addition to guests - but then the passwort must be correct!

If you have the same username on your local machine as on the server,
but with different passwords, then it will always fail.

Workaround: insist that is tries to use a non-existing userid:
net use n: \\server\share /user:notexit
This works fine, without asking for a password, and immediately connects
as guest.

A nicer solution would be map to guest = invalid password, but this has
other disadvantages (described in the man page).

The best solution would be if these options could be set per share,
instead of only globally. Then one could make a share specifically for
guests, that always just works, no matter what.