[Samba] Joining 2008 R2 to Samba4 AD DC

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Fri Apr 17 12:36:44 MDT 2015

We have a Samba4 AD DC running on an Ubuntu 14.04 VM

[ smb.conf ]

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = MEADORANDCO
         realm = meadorandco.com
         netbios name = SOGO
         dns forwarder = 192.168.121.1
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         passdb backend = samba
         allow dns updates = nonsecure

         ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###
         #dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, mapiproxy, dnsserver
         #dcerpc endpoint servers = +mapiproxy
         #dcerpc_mapiproxy:server = true
         #dcerpc_mapiproxy:interfaces = exchange_emsmdb, exchange_nsp,
exchange_ds_rfr
         ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###

         #mapistore:namedproperties = mysql
         #namedproperties:mysql_user = openchange-user
         #namedproperties:mysql_pass = Passw0rd
         #namedproperties:mysql_host = localhost
         #namedproperties:mysql_db = openchange
         #mapistore:indexing_backend =
mysql://openchange-user:Passw0rd@localhost/openchange
         #mapiproxy:openchangedb =
mysql://openchange-user:Passw0rd@localhost/openchange

[netlogon]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/meadorandco.com/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

As you can see, I've commented out the "dcerpc" calls.

All the tests under "Testing DNS" work correctly

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Testing_DNS

All Windows clients refer only to the Samba AD DC for DNS, and the Samba
AD DC forwards DNS to our gateway device.  That was discussed during an
earlier e-mail to the mailing list.

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-February/189159.html
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-February/189506.html

We have one Windows 2008 Server used for storage and one Windows 2008 R2
Server used for MSSQL which "join" correctly (no problems), but we have
one Windows 2008 R2 Server which does not "join"

It's used for Remote Desktop Services.

Specific error: "Network path not found"

(1) Any suggestions on what to investigate to get this last Server
joined correctly?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Client_to_a_Domain

(2) Should it be joined as a DC?  Would it help to do so?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

My Windows 7 clients "join" correctly with no problems but two Windows
XP clients fail to "join"

Specific error: "Internal error"