[Samba] Allowing file permissions changes with mac os x clients.

Ralph Böhme rb at sernet.de
Mon Apr 13 10:55:01 MDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 09:53:52PM +0200, samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> at work all our clients are macs (10.10 yosemite). We are trying to move
> from the classical afp file server to a samba based file server. After a lot
> of testing, things now works more or less: a mac server acts as
> Kerberos+OpenLDAP and a linux debian 7 box is doing the file server with
> samba 4.2.0.
>
> A client which has "joined" (which is bound in mac jargon) the
> OpenLDAP/Kerberos (the opendirectory) domain can mount shares and/or home
> directories on the samba server, leveraging Kerberos and that is very nice,
> thanks to SMB3 being implemented both in samba 4 and in osx 10.10.
>
> Yet their is no way the mac client can change the permissions of a file
> whether using the mac "Finder" application or using a classical "chmod". The
> former says only "you have custom permissions.", while the later returns 0
> says nothing but changes nothing either. For the sake of the tests all the
> shared directories on the samba server are in 777 mode.
>
> I tried vfs_fruit by adding
>         vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
>         fruit:resource = file
>         fruit:metadata = stream
>         fruit:locking = none
>         fruit:encoding = native
>         fruit:aapl = yes
> but with no luck (performances are way worse with these lines enabled when
> it should be the contrary... did not investigate that yet)

it should work with those setting (chmod, not the Finder), not sure
why it doesn't. As you say performance is worse with vfs_fruit, I can
just guess there's something fundamentally broken somewhere, as
fruit/aapl should result in a tremendous directory listing performance
improvement, but shouldn't affect much else.

-Ralph

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de,mailto:kontakt@sernet.de