[Samba] [3.6.6] Possible to allow password-free read/write access?

Gilles Ganault gilles.ganault at free.fr
Thu Apr 2 15:26:05 MDT 2015

Hello

At 22:09 02/04/2015, Linda W wrote:
>It might be possible, but it might be more pain than it is worth.

It's actually very easy, but all Windows users
will be logged as a single user ("nobody", by
default)
 which is fine in the home setup I intended:

[global]
security = user
;defaults to "nobody"
map to guest = bad user
[
]
[myshare]
path = /usr/share/myshare
guest ok = yes
writeable=yes

>>;a bit of security
>>hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24
>>hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
>>
>^^^ isn't 0.0.0.0/0 a wildcard that matches all
>hosts? Might it be that hosts deny takes precedence over allow?

Apparently, it's correct:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba/SecuringSamba

>It is a closed network and not on the
>internet,  right?  So why do you need the hosts deny?

Yes, it's behind a firewall. I figured it doesn't hurt. Does it?

Cheers,

PS : For some reason, your reply doesn't seem to have made it to the list:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-March/thread.html