[Samba] How to reach partially online state in ctdb cluster

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 06:56:42 MDT 2014

Well, I'm using 1.0.114 from sernet and there's a strange bug that's
causing it to come up in a partially online state unless I manually
setifacelink up the bond that it thinks it's down even when it's up,
basically the same as this problem :

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2012-June/084899.html

I have three servers each with two bonds that are made up of 2 eth/em links
each. For some reason on the 3rd server which I recently added ctdb always
thinks that one of the bonds is down even when it's not so it comes up in a
partially online state until I ctdb setifacelink linkName up.

So to get yourself into a partially online state I would do the following :

Setup one or more of the servers to be on two different subnets/vlans and
in your ctdb configuration have the same number of vip's as you do subnets
per server. So if you have 3 servers that each sit on two subnets, make
sure you have at least 6 total vip's, 3 per subnet. Then to get yourself
into a partially online state one of the servers, ip link set $if down .
Then the vip that used to be on that $if will migrate to another server
where a similar interface on the same subnet exists leaving the other
server with a down $if in a partially online state,