[Samba] replace samba with windows7

Peter Serbe peter at serbe.ch
Sat Sep 20 11:35:33 MDT 2014

steve schrieb am 20.09.2014 19:23:

> Maybe we're asking the wrong question. The users at this office can only
> use windows. There seems to be no way a w7 user can click his way to do
> the equivalent of:
> [share]
> read only = No
> other stuff = Yes

This is exactly the reason, why I told You to get a NAS distribution. *)
There are many of them - OpenNAS, FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault - and most likely
many more. Get a DVD image and install it. This should be fairly easy.
All the configuration then will be done in the web browser on one of the
Windows boxes.

Win7 is limited to 20 connections. Every open word document or every
open explorer window consumes one connection. It might be OK to use
a Windows client as file server for a net with only 3..5 clients.
You have too many.

> We've tried letting one of them set permissions on sub folders, but it's
> chaos.

chaos spreads by itself. But users can spread it faster...

- peter

*) network attached storage

PS: You could also by one of these Synology boxes. They do exactly the
same as the distros mentioned above.