[Samba] Active/Passive Samba Cluster for Shared NFS Backend

Thu Sep 18 10:17:36 MDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 09:17:50AM -0500, Andrew Martin wrote:
> [...]

Well, installing Samba on the NFS server will be no
different than on an NFS client in any manner. Samba
communicates numerid unix IDs to the kernel, just as the NFS
client will do.

> Is it possible to do what I've described without needing to use CTDB
> and a clustering filesystem?

No. "lock directory" on NFS just won't work. If you need
both smbds running for faster failover, make it local. Put
the "private directory" on a proper cluster file system, NFS
just is not up to the task to serve tdb files. That's the
entire reason why ctdb exists.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de