[Samba] Mac OS Mavericks über slow

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Sep 2 10:06:04 MDT 2014

I seem to recall a situation where it has to enumerate all the different filename case combinations [upper/lower/mixed] before it displays it on OSX.

I think a search of the list might turn up the post.

I've done a few searches and turn up this: [Which doesn't jive with my above recollection. I hope someone else has a suggestion. More searches might turn it up too.]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.general/122053/match=mac+very+slow
http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#091709k
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.general/133370/focus=133417

You can do your own searches on the list here:
http://search.gmane.org/?query=osx+slow&author=&group=gmane.network.samba.general&sort=relevance&DEFAULTOP=and&xP=Zosx%09Zfilenam%09Zslow&xFILTERS=Gnetwork.samba.general---A
HTH

-Greg

ct> Hi guys,
ct> we are running a fileserver for a company with ~10 Mac OS Mavericks (not all up to date).
ct> The Samba server is running on Centos 5 with official Samba from Centos.
ct> We see big big lagging while browsing the fileserver. Some
ct> directories du to the activy of the company contains more than 4000 files (small one).
ct> Everything is fine if we connect with Windows or Linux machine,
ct> but with Mac Os it's a nightmare with smb.Sometimes it takes more
ct> than 5 minutes to open a directory.
ct> We've tried sshfs wich work seamlessly considering speed. But we
ct> would like to stick with SMB (feature wise)We've tuned anything we
ct> could within the server configuration without any results, same
ct> with the client side googling what we could.We've also try, latest
ct> Fedora and latest Samba, even Ubuntu without any results.
ct> Since few days, and for few Mac we see same problem even in
ct> directories with few files in it.
ct> Any help would be appreciated.
ct> C.

ct>