[Samba] safe to replace just one ldb file?

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Tue Sep 2 08:47:05 MDT 2014

Hi Rowland,

> OK, now that it is confirmed that you haven't done anything to damage
> your AD ;-)
Always good to be safe :-)

> There is one problem that I can see, 'tdbbackup' is for backing up .tdb
> files not .ldb files, the name sort of gives it away ;-)
But... reading from https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery
it tells me that:

--- Whilst you must never copy a running database, you can backup *.ldb
& *.tdb files online with 'tdbbackup'

and

--- Backups of *.ldb files can be just renamed (remove the *.bak) to
their old name to restore.

I am under the impression that tdbbackup is used to backup both .ldb and
.tdb files...? And when looking that samba_backup script, it seems to
use tdbbackup as well:

                 for ldb in `find $relativedirname -name "*.ldb"`; do
                         tdbbackup $ldb
                         if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
                                 echo "Error while backuping $ldb"
                                 exit 1
                         fi
                 done

It feels a bit strange to question your knowledge... but...

Are you sure that tdbbackup is only for tdb files?

Then: how to backup (or 'dump') ldb files?

MJ