[Samba] safe to replace just one ldb file?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:59:36 MDT 2014

On 02/09/14 15:47, mourik jan heupink - merit wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
>> OK, now that it is confirmed that you haven't done anything to damage
>> your AD ;-)
> Always good to be safe :-)
>
>> There is one problem that I can see, 'tdbbackup' is for backing up .tdb
>> files not .ldb files, the name sort of gives it away ;-)
> But... reading from https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery
> it tells me that:
>
> --- Whilst you must never copy a running database, you can backup
> *.ldb & *.tdb files online with 'tdbbackup'
>
> and
>
> --- Backups of *.ldb files can be just renamed (remove the *.bak) to
> their old name to restore.
>
> I am under the impression that tdbbackup is used to backup both .ldb
> and .tdb files...? And when looking that samba_backup script, it seems
> to use tdbbackup as well:
>
>                 for ldb in `find $relativedirname -name "*.ldb"`; do
>                         tdbbackup $ldb
>                         if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>                                 echo "Error while backuping $ldb"
>                                 exit 1
>                         fi
>                 done
>
> It feels a bit strange to question your knowledge... but...

Don't feel strange, I do not know everything :-) I just based what I
said on this from 'man tdbbackup' :

'tdbbackup is a tool that may be used to backup samba .tdb files.'

If this is incorrect (and I am not saying it is or isn't) then, in my
opinion, the manpage needs altering and the command name needs altering
as well.

> Are you sure that tdbbackup is only for tdb files?

well not now you that you have posted that excerpt from the backup
script ;-)

> Then: how to backup (or 'dump') ldb files?

OK, any devs want to comment on this ?

Rowland