[Samba] Samba 3.6.23 and Windows 7

Jeff Workman obn at xio.us
Thu Oct 30 18:04:29 MDT 2014

After being content with an old laptop running XP for years, my job
decided to provide me with a shiny new one running Windows 7 Professional.

The biggest problem with this is that I can't get the Windows 7 box to
login to my Samba NT4-style domain controller. I have upgraded samba
from 3.0.33 to 3.6.23, and copied my smbpasswd file to where the new
samba expects to find it in /var/samba/lib/private. I've applied the
following registry changes to my Windows 7 machine:

; Win7_Samba3DomainMember
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters]
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000
"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001

; Speedup settings
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"SlowLinkDetectEnabled"=dword:00000000
"DeleteRoamingCache"=dword:00000001
"WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000
"CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001

; Can drive you nuts
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

What's funny is that I can join the Windows 7 machine to the domain, but
just as soon as I reboot and then try to login as a domain user, I get

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
failed.

I imagine there's something in my smb.conf that I need to change. The
only change I made from my old 3.0 smb.conf was I added the following
line in the [global] section:

passdb backend = smbpasswd

What else do I need to do?