[Samba] idmap weirdness - wildcard values being used instead of rfc2307 AD values

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 06:31:17 MDT 2014

On 30/10/14 11:29, Doug Meredith wrote:
> I've done a lot of research on this and haven't been able to solve the
> problem.  Hopefully someone here has a better understanding of this than I
> do.
>
> The problem is that the UIDs and GIDs are not being fetched from AD.  For
> example "getent passwd doug" returns:
>
> doug:*:70003:70005:Doug Meredith:/home/DSTRC/doug:/bin/false
>
> My full name has correctly been pulled from AD but the UID specified in AD
> is 20001 and the group is 10000.

Is the computer joined to the domain ? what is the AD DC ? any chance of
seeing the users entry in AD ? smb.conf appears OK except that what is
being pulled from AD doesn't seem to include the users unixHomeDirectory
& loginShell. I wonder if you are mistaking the 'uid' attribute for the
'uidNumber' attribute ?

Rowland