[Samba] External DNS Setup

David Thompson david at digitaltransitions.ca
Thu Oct 23 18:07:44 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I’m new to this list and new to SAMBA 4, so I’m still fairly green at this point.

I’m setting up a DC for testing and what I’d like to do is circumvent the built-in DNS but as well I’d also like to not have to rely on BIND on the same server either. What I’d like to do is have the SAMBA 4 domain update my external BIND DNS Server in the same manner that a windows based server would do this. The external BIND server allows for forward and reverse DNS updates from hosts in specified zones.

I’ve poked around and also looked online but can’t find anything that pertains to how to do this, but I would think that it would be possible for customers who have existing DNS infrastructure in place already and would like to utilize that service for a new domain server(s) being implemented.

Any pointers, man pages, knowledge base articles, or links to clown colleges if this makes no sense is greatly appreciated as I get more familiar with this software.

Thank you,