[Samba] Is the samba-dc package on Centos 7 gimped?

Simo simo at samba.org
Mon Oct 20 13:04:09 MDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 16:19 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 19/10/14 16:08, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Rowland Penny
> > <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> So you are going to rely on red hat coming up with a working samba DC
> >> package, good luck with that and I hope you are prepared to be patient.
> >> Samba 4 was released nearly 2 years ago and red hat still hasn't got a
> >> working package, why ? because they insist it must work with mit instead of
> >> heimdal, it probably would have been quicker for red hat to drop mit.
> >>
> >> Rowland
> > MIT Kerberos was, and remains, the reference Kerberos stack, so the
> > reluctance to migrate from it is understandable.
>
> So what, this, where I come from from, is known as 'cutting your nose
> off to spite your face' or in other words, they could have had a samba
> DC nearly two years ago and still have worked on getting mit kerberos to
> work.

No Rowland, we could not have done it, or we would have done it.

It was largely my decision at the time, if you want to blame someone.
And I am a Samba Team member, it was not an easy decision.
But it was fully based on technical grounds and was the only rational
decision for RHEL/Fedora.

The reason is that samba come with client libraries too and you can't
create a properly working OS where the same binaries include 2 different
versions of the same library. Besides potential symbol clashing (that
was later hidden with compiler and dynamic loader tricks) there are
other issues with features available in one and not available on the
other. Ie there are features MIT provides and RHEL/Fedora uses that are
not supported in Heimdal code and would cause issues if some client code
does not support features other code relies on.

> > And yes, I see some
> > development reports on Red Hat and Fedora getting this striaghtened
> > out in the foreseeable future.
> I think they said this nearly two years ago ;-)

Yes, and it takes time to unravel samba code that has been built w/o any
regard for compatibility to the MIT implementation. For some reason when
Heimdal was introduced in the AD part of the code, MIT compatibility was
*actively* removed. It took time to back trace and fix a ton of
dependency as well as compatibility functions and reinstate or rework
them.
We started with making the client side work first. Which is why there is
any 4.x code at all in RHEL. Then we started working on the server side
which was a bigger task.

We'll eventually get there, but things do not just happen fast because
we'd like them to, we want code that works with either MIT or Heimdal
and that is maintainable long term, not some quick'n'dirty hack.

HTH,
Simo.