[Samba] Is the samba-dc package on Centos 7 gimped?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 16 02:26:47 MDT 2014

On 16/10/14 02:49, John Lewis wrote:
> I got comfortable enough with Samba on my systems that I agreed to
> provision Samba for my local Linux Users group. My server runs Debian 7
> and theirs runs Centos 7.
>
> I installed the samba-dc-4.1.1-37.el7_0.x86_64 package, ldb-tools.x86_64
> 0:1.1.16-4.el7, and samba-client-4.1.1-37.el7_0.x86_64 packages on their
> Centos 7. The problem is I can't find samba-tool anywhere so I can't
> provision the domain controller for them tonight.
>
> Threads like this one
> http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/535153-centos-7-samba-domain-controller
> and this one
> http://centos.1050465.n5.nabble.com/CentOS-SAMBA-as-AD-DC-td5729374.html
> are giving me the sinking feeling that I will have to build the Samba
> suite from source because Red Hat didn't want something easier to use
> than slapd to compete with the authentication suite they are trying to sell.
>
> Can I get a confirmation that there is actually something wrong with the
> samba-dc package? Is there some already built Samba4 package for Centos
> 7 that has domain controller features?
Hi, there is nothing wrong with the samba-dc-4.1.1-37.el7_0.x86_64
package, how could there be, it only contains one file
/usr/share/doc/samba-dc-4.1.1/README.dc

Try reading it, this confirms what you fear, you cannot have a samba4 DC
with the official samba packages, so you are going to have to compile it
yourself, but this might be easier said than done due to the kerberos
problem, might just be easier to install Debian on the server.

Rowland