[Samba] Is the samba-dc package on Centos 7 gimped?

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:49:30 MDT 2014

I got comfortable enough with Samba on my systems that I agreed to
provision Samba for my local Linux Users group. My server runs Debian 7
and theirs runs Centos 7.

I installed the samba-dc-4.1.1-37.el7_0.x86_64 package, ldb-tools.x86_64
0:1.1.16-4.el7, and samba-client-4.1.1-37.el7_0.x86_64 packages on their
Centos 7. The problem is I can't find samba-tool anywhere so I can't
provision the domain controller for them tonight.

Threads like this one
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/535153-centos-7-samba-domain-controller
and this one
http://centos.1050465.n5.nabble.com/CentOS-SAMBA-as-AD-DC-td5729374.html
are giving me the sinking feeling that I will have to build the Samba
suite from source because Red Hat didn't want something easier to use
than slapd to compete with the authentication suite they are trying to sell.

Can I get a confirmation that there is actually something wrong with the
samba-dc package? Is there some already built Samba4 package for Centos
7 that has domain controller features?