[Samba] Sysvol replication with Unison for more than 2 server.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Oct 3 00:45:55 MDT 2014

Hello Min Wai,

I havent tested it with more than 2 server but in my opionion it should work if you make sure you set gpo and work on 1 machine.
for example.

You work on the sysvol of DC1 only. then you can sync to unlimited DC's.
you let DC1 do al the syncing. ( the cron job on this machine. )

With only 2 DC's you can work on both DC's, in this case sync both ways works ok, this i have tested.

to overcome some of the rights issues..
The DC's only work as DC, just sysvol as shares ( and netlogon )
The 2 DC's i've running, will be accessed only from windows computers. and i have set the following.

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No
        acl_xattr:ignore system acl = yes           <==

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/vfs_acl_xattr.8.html
If you only access the data via Samba you might set this to yes to achieve better NT ACL compatibility.

and in this case i set my rights from windows on the share, and i dont have any rights problems as far as i have seen.

The acl_xattr is not really needed, but i noticed it made it more easy to setup, since you dont have to look at the linux rights in the background.

Hope this helps you out a but.

Best regards,

Louis