[Samba] nss, samba3/ldap PDC, NT4 interdomain trust and performance

Christof Schmitt cs at samba.org
Wed Oct 1 09:40:32 MDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 04:39:30PM +0200, Denis Cardon wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> >last week I took a look at a samba3 PDC server with some performance
> >issues. The samba3 PDC has an ldap backend and has nss_ldap configured
> >properly. It has also interdomain trust so it has nss_winbind configured
> >too, so in /etc/nsswitch.conf there is :
> >
> >passwd: compat ldap winbind
> >group: compat ldap winbind
>
> In the samba4 source tree, the idmap_rfc2307.c source file has code
> the connection not only AD but also to a standard openldap. This
> could replace nss_ldap and make it unnecessary.
>
> Does anyone has experience with winbind rfc2307 idmap module in a
> NT4 style samba3 PDC scenario?
>
> Is there a reason why it is not shipped with the samba-3.6.24
> tarball? I think this is strange because it is located in the
> source3 folder of samba4 tarball...

The idmap_rfc2307 module is new in the 4.1 release. It would require
some effort to backport it to 3.6, and that probably won't happen since
3.6 only receives security fixes at this point.

I don't have experience with the NT4 style PDC, so there might be some
limitation that i am not aware of, but it seems that if you can upgrade
to 4.1, that module might be worth a try.

Christof