[Samba] nss, samba3/ldap PDC, NT4 interdomain trust and performance

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Wed Oct 1 08:39:30 MDT 2014

Hi again,

> last week I took a look at a samba3 PDC server with some performance
> issues. The samba3 PDC has an ldap backend and has nss_ldap configured
> properly. It has also interdomain trust so it has nss_winbind configured
> too, so in /etc/nsswitch.conf there is :
>
> passwd: compat ldap winbind
> group: compat ldap winbind

In the samba4 source tree, the idmap_rfc2307.c source file has code the
connection not only AD but also to a standard openldap. This could
replace nss_ldap and make it unnecessary.

Does anyone has experience with winbind rfc2307 idmap module in a NT4
style samba3 PDC scenario?

Is there a reason why it is not shipped with the samba-3.6.24 tarball? I
think this is strange because it is located in the source3 folder of
samba4 tarball...

Thanks,

Denis

--