[Samba] Samba 4 Create User Home Dir??

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 29 14:02:43 MST 2014

On 29/11/14 20:52, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I will say it again, samba only ignores most of the RFC2307
>     attributes on the AD DC, samba will use all the RFC2307 attributes
>     on any machine that is not an AD DC.
>
>     Yes, sssd will use the 'unixHomeDirectory' attribute, but it will
>     still have to be set in AD, otherwise you will have to revert to
>     the sssd equivalent of 'template homedir'
>

> Ah OK.  I'm getting it...  just slow on the uptake.
>
> SME Server uses an action/event system whereby certain actions on the
> server can "trigger" an event.  I have an event now that it used to
> create  user accounts and I was going to create an action to setup the
> users home directory.
>
> I've not quite figured out "template homedir" yet.  I take it that
> this is used to create user home directories on the fly?
>
> Greg

No, as I have said, the samba AD DC does not pull (get, obtain) the
users home directory from AD, so you have to set it somehow. The
'somehow' is to put 'template homedir = <somepath>' into smb.conf, in
fact it is set already, it is one of the defaults. If you run
'samba-tool testparm -v' , it will print all the samba settings
including the default ones, this includes the 'template homedir'

It will not, by itself, create the users home directory, you can use
pam_mkhomedir (pam_oddjob ??? on centos) to create the home dir when the
user connects.

Rowland