[Samba] Multilingual Win 2008 R2 problems with Samba 3.6/CentOS 6

Peter Astrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu Nov 27 03:11:20 MST 2014

I'm trying to setup a multilingual Windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Server,
joined to a Samba 3.6.23 domain. The domain join etc works. However, after
installing MUI packs and switching to Swedish for a test user, I noticed
that only some parts of the user interface was translated. For example, in
"Computer" I can see:

Favoriter
  | Desktop
  | Downloads
  | RecentPlaces

Thus, only 1 of 4 strings were translated. Same problem is visible on the
start menu: Calculator is translated to "Kalkylatorn", while Notepad is
left translated. This seems to be caused by the fact that Calculator.lnk
is located in c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start
menu\programs\accessories, while Notepad.lnk is in the user portion of the
start menu. Thus, it is the user portion of the start menu that is not
translated.

After some investigation, I noticed that this is caused by wrong file
attributes: The "Start menu" folder/subfolders loses the "read only"
attribute. On the Samba side, the mode is:

drwxrwxr-x+ 3 cendastr cendastr 4096 27 nov 10.57 Start Menu

What is the recommended solution to this? I recently found:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Windows_Profiles#Implementing_roaming_profiles_with_Samba

However, the suggested configuration is to store roaming profiles on a
separate share. We would prefer to store them in the UNIX home dir as we
currently do (logon path = \\%N\%U\.profile). Is that possible?

Br,
---
Peter Astrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		https://cendio.com