[Samba] Is samba FIPS compliant plus MAC OS X issue ?

Tompkins, Michael Michael.Tompkins at xerox.com
Tue Nov 25 11:29:25 MST 2014

We now make a call to FIPS_mode_set(1) in smbclient 4.0.7 to enter FIPS mode of operation. We would like verification that samba is using the proper FIPS compliant algorithms.

In addition, for FIPS, I set "client min protocol = SMB2", which should be the minimum for FIPS, correct !?!?

Everything works fine for different MS servers, EXCEPT, when I try to connect to a MAC OS X, then the negotiate fails. In cli_session_setup_spnego_send() before it calls cli_session_setup_ntlmssp_send(), in gdb, I print *cli, and the differences with and without "client min protocol = SMB2" is:

Without "client min protocol = SMB2"					With "client min protocol = SMB2"
server_domain = 0x2112e688 "DTCRAPPLE",				server_domain = 0x20f63d90 "",
smb2 = {session = 0x2112bd10,				 		smb2 = {session = 0x0,

This test was also run with our FEDORA 20 linux version 4.1.12, and I see the same issue, so it's not particular to our 4.0.7 implementation.

Regards,
- Mike