[Samba] User Management

David Thompson david at digitaltransitions.ca
Tue Nov 25 10:53:09 MST 2014

Hi all,

I’ve been playing around with SAMBA 4 for a short while now an I’ve run into an issue. I had setup a domain with 2 controllers and extended the schema to support and external mail server with the attributes.

From the command line on either the of the 2 DC’s I can add new users and modify without issue
On a windows machine with the remote server tools for Windows 8.1 I can modify users, but whenever I try to add in new users, I get the following error upon completing the new user addition:

An error occurred: Contact your system administrator

I’ve tried to find anything in the event logs and I can’t see anything of relevance. I’ve tried unbinding and rebinding the workstation to the domain and it I can still not add in new users. I’ve also logged into the workstation as different administrators and cannot add users, as well as deleted the existing home folders for users on the windows workstation with the same negative results.

However, I have another program that I use to bulk import users into the domain (AD Bulk Users) and I can import hundreds of users into the domain without issue on the same machine with the same administrator logged in.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I’ve found lots of different things for windows servers, and have tried a few on the client side but they didn’t work for me so I thought I’d reach out to the community here and see if anyone has come across this issue before and if so how they resolved it.

I’m more than happy to use the samba-tool command, but some people like to use the GUI to add in new users and I’d like to be able to offer that ability to do just that.

Thank you,

David