[Samba] netshareenum 502 lists shares that don't exist

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 13:47:57 MST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM, pisymbol . <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Windows 2008 Server that when I do:
>
> net -U Administrator%pass server.domain.com share

Sorry 'net share' etc. But you got the point.

> Lists what I see under Computer Management->Shared Folders on the server
> (as well as net share under the Command Prompt).
>
> However, when I do on a remote Linux client (samba-3.5.78.fc13.x86_64)
>
> rpcclient -c 'netshareenum 2' server.domain.com -U Administrator%pass
>
> I see extra non-hidden shares (no '$') of type STYPE_DiSKTREE that don't
> actually exist on the server, i.e. I don't see the directories under
> Windows Explorer
>
> Any clue where to begin or why this is?

I also noticed this is true for the 'C$' share as well. 'net share' will
list it, but 'netshareenum 2' does not yet the documentation claims hidden
shares should be listed.

Is this a property of Windows or SMB or both? :-) I tried latest 3.6 stable
and got the same results.

-aps