[Samba] Tunning samba for better read performance

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 04:23:06 MST 2014

Thanks for your data.

On 19 November 2014 16:13, L.P.H. van Belle <belle at bazuin.nl> wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I dont think its you windows pc.
> i dont think its samba.
>
> I think its the device or cable or switch port.
>
> A simple test with windows 7 is ( run as administrator CMD )
> netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
> and reverse with
> netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal
>
> disabled it sets a fixed TCP receive windows. ( 64Kb)
> so set it, reboot the pc, disable any antivirus and do the copy again.
>
> if you get the same speed, them im sure its something in you device/cables
> there for i suggest you replace the cable.

I just disabled autotuning and restarted the client and did the test again, but
same perf numbers.

What it means with respect to TCP window size 64Kb on disable and what exactly
the size at normal is it 1024?

and how you conclude with change in window size will have some change in perf
numbers.?

> and you cant tell me more about the arm device? mainboard model ( even its development )
>
> What i must say also, the speeds i mentions are on a "tuned" partions.
> aka.
> My movies are on a separated partion with 4MB block size.
> My music are on a separated partion with 1MB block size.
>
> and speed differences are there yes.
> movies, i always get the max speed, read and write.
> music, read about 80-100MB/s
> The 1K blocks partition, well depends on the size of the file. about 50-100MB/s
>
> also, install iotop and start it before the copy test.
> and see if you device can handle the speed.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Jagan.