[Samba] Tunning samba for better read performance

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Nov 19 03:43:48 MST 2014

Hai,

I dont think its you windows pc.
i dont think its samba.

I think its the device or cable or switch port.

A simple test with windows 7 is ( run as administrator CMD )
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
and reverse with
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

disabled it sets a fixed TCP receive windows. ( 64Kb)
so set it, reboot the pc, disable any antivirus and do the copy again.

if you get the same speed, them im sure its something in you device/cables
there for i suggest you replace the cable.

and you cant tell me more about the arm device? mainboard model ( even its development )

What i must say also, the speeds i mentions are on a "tuned" partions.
aka.
My movies are on a separated partion with 4MB block size.
My music are on a separated partion with 1MB block size.

and speed differences are there yes.
movies, i always get the max speed, read and write.
music, read about 80-100MB/s
The 1K blocks partition, well depends on the size of the file. about 50-100MB/s

also, install iotop and start it before the copy test.
and see if you device can handle the speed.

Greetz,

Louis