[Samba] Tunning samba for better read performance

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 02:16:19 MST 2014

On 19 November 2014 14:39, L.P.H. van Belle <belle at bazuin.nl> wrote:

> What mainboard is this? aka a bit more info on the hardware.
> It is a nas mainboard or something like that.

Server: Target is ARM development board where 1GB RAM with dual core
armv7 processor and
Client: Windows 7, Intel Xeon with 8GB RAM.

> Im getting 115Mb/s read and write  from a windows 7.
> ( asrock E350 AMD board )

I think this is a valid behavior, but I have very less speed in read.
Could you share your /etc/samba/smb.conf may be I will tune accordingly.

> 1Gb interface does not mean it can reach the max speed, cpu is also important in this,
> so for that we need more hardware info.

I'm not much concern about speed here, I need to be a read > write
which is of identical
and good performance.

> I did a few of these :
> http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow
> 1 is the most important.
> 2 stops auto update, so dont do that.
> 3) possible, what you want.
> 4) not really needed.
> 5) what you want.
> 6) This can be a point to check, make sure you have the latest NIC drivers.
>
> and no changes at samba side for me. ( only the defaults from install )
>
> I get these speeds with : ( tested, and what is see in windows )
> samba 3.6.6 ( Debian samba ) stand server               115MB/s
> samba 4.1.6 ( Ubuntu samba ) stand server       108MB/s
> samba 4.1.13 ( Ubuntu sernet samba ) AD DC server       112MB/s
>

> Louis

thanks!
--
Jagan.