[Samba] dhcp best practice

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:11:27 MST 2014

I have been wanting to allow our routers to continue to serve dhcp thinking
this would give us a safer fail environment. Now we are learning that our
routers can handle creating a whitelist of mac addresses to use for dhcp
leases. So we need to look at alternatives.

I am wondering how many samba AD DC's also run dhcp -- and if there is a
samba 'good practice' for managing dhcp. Yes, I know they are separate
systems. I may be force to run dhcp along side my samba server though and
would like to know what issues I may face.

Also, since we have three campuses, we will be running 3 dhcp servers
needing to share mac address whitelists between them. If anyone has
pointers on setting something like this up, I'd love to read them.

--
David Bear
mobile: (602) 903-6476