[Samba] Samba 3.6 -> 4.x and trusts

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 6 06:39:38 MST 2014

On 06/11/14 12:53, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 11/06/14 13:21, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>> Hi, Samba 4.2 will be using the winbindd daemon, this is the same daemon
>> that S3 uses, and one of the main reasons to change to it, is to get
>> trusts working correctly.
>
> Thanks for the answer.
> Does this mean skipping 4.0 and 4.1 and going to 4.2 will give the
> same level of features of 3.6? No regressions?

I do not know, 4.2 is still being worked on and has not been released
yet, but 4.2rc2 is available for testing.

> Also, I see there are two upgrade paths: classic and Active Directory.
> Does the above statement wrt trusts hold for both? Or only for classic?

If you setup samba4 in classic mode, then it should operate just like S3
because it uses the smbd, nmbd and winbindd daemons. If you setup an AD
DC it only uses the samba daemon which starts the smbd daemon for you,
with 4.2 it also starts the winbindd daemon.

> Can I upgrade to 4.2 staying with NT mode and then switch to AD in the
> future? Would the "Samba AD DC HOWTO" still be applicable then?

Yes, you could use the classic mode with 4.2 and later upgrade (as far
as I know), but as I said, 4.2 has still not been released.

Rowland