[Samba] Windows forgets saved passwords after user changes their password

William Ross william.ross at mercedes-benzsouthwest.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 06:54:39 MST 2014

I have a Samba4 domain (4.1.12) running on a CentOS 6 server with Windows 7
clients.
When a user changes their password (CTL-ALT-DEL, Change password) on a
client it forgets any saved passwords (their Outlook password, any IE
security certificates etc).

Searching the list archive I found a user with the same issue:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-August/183595.html
but no resolution.

I presume the issue is that Windows encrypts the saved credentials and uses
the user's login password as a key to decrypt them. When the user changes
their password the saved credential store is no longer accessible.
Presumably at the point the password is changed the local password store
should be updated to be accessed with the new password - but that isn't
happening.

Can anyone suggest any fixes/workarounds so users can change their passwords
and not lose any stored credentials?

Many thanks,

William Ross
IT Administrator