[Samba] DNS problems

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 06:31:06 MDT 2014

On 30/05/14 12:54, steve wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 07:40 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> This in-between DNS server is set up as the server we forward to on the
>> Samba server. Our resolv.conf file has the following:
>>
>> search cnpapers.net
>> nameserver 192.9.200.71
>> nameserver 192.9.200.53
>>
>> 192.9.200.71 is the Samba server
>> 192.9.200.53 is the in-between DNS server
>>
>> The in-between server forwards to our public DNS server where
>> cnpapers.net lives.
> Hi
> Thinking out loud (bad on Fridays), the internal dns can't resolve
> anything apart from its own domain so I think the config should be:
> remove the ns:
> nameserver 192.9.200.53
> and let the internal server forward when it gets a request from outside:
> dns forwarder = 192.9.200.53
> It then doesn't matter what the 'in-between server' does with it.

Hi, I would second what Steve is saying here, your Samba4 AD DC needs to
use itself as a nameserver, all the machines that are joined to to your
DC need to use just the DC as a nameserver. If one of your joined
machines asks for anything outside the internal domain, your DC will not
know the answer and will then turn to the forwarder. The forwarder can
be anything, in your case the inbetween, it could also be an external
machine, one provided by your ISP for instance.

Rowland