[Samba] DNS problems

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri May 30 05:54:54 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 07:40 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:

> This in-between DNS server is set up as the server we forward to on the
> Samba server. Our resolv.conf file has the following:
>
> search cnpapers.net
> nameserver 192.9.200.71
> nameserver 192.9.200.53
>
> 192.9.200.71 is the Samba server
> 192.9.200.53 is the in-between DNS server
>
> The in-between server forwards to our public DNS server where
> cnpapers.net lives.

Hi
Thinking out loud (bad on Fridays), the internal dns can't resolve
anything apart from its own domain so I think the config should be:
remove the ns:
nameserver 192.9.200.53
and let the internal server forward when it gets a request from outside:
dns forwarder = 192.9.200.53
It then doesn't matter what the 'in-between server' does with it.