[Samba] DNS problems

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu May 29 13:19:50 MDT 2014

I'm running my AD now, but testing some things dependent on DNS does not
seem to be working.

Our server is setup in our cnpapers.net domain and was provisioned using
Internal Samba DNS.

The forwarder is set properly, and almost everything resolves. The
forwarder DNS server only has a subset of zones we use on it and it
forwards requests to our public/real DNS server. So a request would be
something like:

DNS request -> DC -> Partial DNS server -> real DNS server.

My problem is when I need the resolution of a server in cnpapers.net
domain, the only host that resolves from a Windows machine using the
Samba DNS is the DC server itself. It appears that all other requests to
other domains get forwarded properly.

Now:
 From the wiki Samba AD DC HOWTO:

Testing DNS:
When doing any of the test in this section, I get failures. Example below

host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.samdom.example.com.

Of course I've change the parts needed. But this fails as well, along
with the other tests this section requests.

Any clues here?

Thanks
steve