[Samba] Totally missing the mark here

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 23 13:18:04 MDT 2014

I have to say I probably shouldn't have read that version 3 samba book,
but I did, so I'm thoroughly confused about what I should be doing to
get this server configured properly.

I have installed the Sernet rpms on this server. For now, I'm going to
run the AD on the same server as the file shares.

Using the wiki as a guide, I've followed the provisioning but the first
tests don't seem to succeed.

Am I doing this backwards? Should I first make this server a normal
Samba file server that will allow users to mount shares manually before
proceeding on to AD stuff. I'm not seeing how I can have any valid users
or anything following the wiki. It's like it should be Chapter 44
instead of the first prolog.

This is really humbling.

I could use some pointers in how to bring a new server up to an
AD/DC+fileserver.

Thanks for any help. For now, I'll dig in and read as much as I can.

steve campbell