[Samba] Group instead of User login scripts

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 23 05:56:50 MDT 2014

On 5/22/2014 11:49 PM, Davor Vusir wrote:
> Are the users logging on to Windows clients? if so, you should consider
> creating a GPO and a group  for each department. In the GPOs preferences
> section you add shares.
>
> Regards
> Davor

>> I'm sure these sound like stupid questions, or have really simple answers,
>> so sorry. The really bad thing is I originally sent these to samba-bounces.
>> Oops.
>>
>> Once we get this Samba AD thing installed, we'd like to have users login
>> and mount particular shares to drive letters based on their group, not
>> their user. All I've read about this seems to use "user" scripts (along
>> with the user variables).
>>
>> By doing this, all departmental users will have the same drive mappings
>> and we won't need to create individual user login scripts. Is this a common
>> practice?
>>
>> steve campbell
>> --

I only started on the server yesterday. At the moment, I'm still
installing RPMs that are needed for general server utilization. I
haven't installed the Sernet RPMs yet. I want to harden it before I get
started on Samba. I'm hoping once I get Samba installed, it'll make a
little more sense and answer some of my "obvious" questions.

For now, though, I'm not sure what our Windows guy wants done. And by
the way, I'll need to look up what GPO means. The way you describe it,
meaning group preferences, it sounds like what we had in mind.

Thanks

steve