[Samba] SysVol questions

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Fri May 23 02:52:37 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-23 10:41, mourik jan heupink - merit wrote:
> We're using kvm virtual machines
> (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page) on our main servers to be dc's.
>
> To us it feels a lot 'lighter' than XenServer does. (at least: XenServer
> two years ago)

Same here, we've migrated our servers from Xen to KVM in the past few
months. KVM is a lot more stable and faster for us.

> But anyway: I agree that it's a idea to have dc's in virtual machines.
> Our file/mail servers are 'bare metal' (as they call it..) and some have
> a kvm virtual machine running (only) a samba4 dc.

We haven't had a bare metal server in half a decade, I think. Even with
Xen performance is good enough that I wouldn't deal with the hassle of
having (and maintaining) a bare-metal server for each role…

> MJ
>
> On 5/22/2014 23:25, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
>> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:24:11AM -0500, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
>>> Other option is if you are going to put the file server in a VM use
>>> Citrix
>>> XenServer 6.2 it is now free. Just do not use HA as you really need a
>>> 3rd
>>> server.
>>
>> I'll second this. This is exactly what we moved to. I am also in the
>> process of migrating away from some Novell 6.x and the newer Novell OES,
>> to migrate to a Samba 4 AD setup. It's been going VERY well with the
>> XenServer stuff.

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at