[Samba] Ubuntu client ddns failure [SOLVED]

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu May 22 06:37:42 MDT 2014

On 22/05/14 13:29, steve wrote:
> On 22/05/14 14:22, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 22/05/14 13:19, steve wrote:
>>>
>>> Nailed it:
>>> /etc/hostname has to have the fqdn:
>>> lubuntu-laptop.hh3.site
>>>
>>> So now, hostname returns incorrectly but hostname -s and hostname -f
>>> are OK. That gotta be a bug no?
>>>
>>> Relief.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>
>> You beat me to it, I thought that might be a workround, but what does
>> opensuse have in /etc/hostname ?
>>
>> Rowland
> Great minds Rowland. . .
> openSUSE has the short hostname, as expected.
> So, on Ubuntu, hostname is wrong but hostname -f, hostname -d and
> hostname -d are still OK.
>
> Just worried that the wrong entry in /etc/hostname is gonna break
> something we've not met yet.
> Cheers,
> Steve

I am not sure that the problem is really with /etc/hostname, I think it
may be with the way that the fqdn is obtained by sssd, it may rely on
something that is either not there or is slightly different on Ubuntu
against Opensuse.

Also I think that sssd would not work on Centos, if it relied on the
contents of /etc/hostname, because that file does not exist on Centos ;-)

Rowland