[Samba] samba 3 performance with windows 7 workstations

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Wed May 21 10:45:02 MDT 2014

Hi Peter,

I read your post with interest, seems sage has done some work on their
linux support since last I checked into it.  I didn't think it was so
long ago, but I guess it was long enough...

> Further to previous post.
> I have changed each of the seven win7 PCs to use smb1 instead of smb2
> It has made no difference to Sage performance.
> I noted today that a batch task which would previously take 1-2 minutes
> completes in an hour.
> I checked on the server processes and the user running sage had 1 minute 6
> seconds of server time when the task completed.
> I had assumed that the only variable was replacing XP workstations with
> win7, but I discovered today that the accountant had been in last week and
> installed Sage line50 2014.
> Anybody have any ideas?

Given my experience trying to get their linux stuff working a while ago,
one suggestion is to store the data on a windows machine and see if
performance improves.  Won't fix the samba problem, but might help rule
out some things.

The other suggestion is based on my experience with Sage Accpac, and
that is make sure you are running gigabit network.  I installed some IP
Phones with 10/100 switch and it slowed Accpac down considerably - not
as much as you describe, but what did take a couple minutes started to
take a couple tens of minutes.  some cheap gigabit switches brought it
back...

If you get it working reliably I hope you report back...