[Samba] need help cleaning up my smb3 databases to complete smb4 classic upgrade

Adam Wojnarski adam.wojnarski at gmail.com
Wed May 21 02:59:43 MDT 2014

Hello Marc,
Thank You for Your reply
> Hello Adam,
>
> Am 19.05.2014 10:53, schrieb Adam Wojnarski:
>> My issue is:
>> How do i find the offending sid in my old dbs and get rid of it?
>
> What kind of backend do you use on your classic domain?

My smb3 config (excluding hosts shares fallows)

[global]
workgroup = MyCOMPANYNAME
server string = THISHOSTSNAME
hosts allow = 192.168. 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
log level = 10
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes
logon drive = Q:
logon home = \\%N\%U
logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -s /sbin/nologin "%u"
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
load printers = no
cups options = raw
create mask = 0660
directory mask = 0770
unix extensions = no
max open files = 100000
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
valid users = %S
valid users = MYCOMPANYNAME\%S
[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
guest ok = yes
writable = no
share modes = no

>> I got my samba 4 from git://git.samba.org/samba.git samba-master
>> my smb3 server is a an ancient fedora build samba-3.2.15-0.36.fc10.x86_64 -
>> am I right to think that upgrading it to a current 3.x line version might
>> help things or will the db's collect even more garbage with the upgrade? A
>> few people managed it before me so I don't know it's full history.
>
> If you have any concerns, you can simply update to 4.1.7 and if
> everything works like it should, then do the classicupgrade to AD a few
> days later.
>
> But why do you want to use a developer/git version and not a released
> one (4.1.7)? Releases are stable. I would not run a git version in
> production.

Tried the current stable release - I have the exact same error. I
googled it multiple times and am sure that It's an issue with the old
samba. tried to locate the offending use/host using wbinfo or dumping
the winbindd_idmap.tdb file but failed to find it there. I was trying
the one from git hoping that a fresher version will do better. From
what I learned this haunts users ever since classicupgrade is
available.

> Regards,
> Marc

p.s. listing of all tdb databases I have in my old system

# ls  /var/lib/samba/
account_policy.tdb      connections.tdb.bak
idmap_cache.tdb.bak  mutex.tdb.bak              notify.tdb.bak
ntprinters.tdb.bak  scripts             unexpected.tdb.bak
wins.dat
account_policy.tdb.bak  gencache.tdb                locking.tdb
  namelist.debug             ntdrivers.tdb      perfmon
sessionid.tdb       winbindd_cache.tdb      wins.tdb
brlock.tdb              gencache.tdb.bak            locking.tdb.bak
  netlogon                   ntdrivers.tdb.bak  printing
sessionid.tdb.bak   winbindd_cache.tdb.bak  wins.tdb.bak
brlock.tdb.bak          group_mapping.ldb           messages.tdb
  netsamlogon_cache.tdb      ntforms.tdb        private
share_info.tdb      winbindd_idmap.tdb
browse.dat              group_mapping.tdb.upgraded  messages.tdb.bak
  netsamlogon_cache.tdb.bak  ntforms.tdb.bak    registry.tdb
share_info.tdb.bak  winbindd_idmap.tdb.bak
connections.tdb         idmap_cache.tdb             mutex.tdb
  notify.tdb                 ntprinters.tdb     registry.tdb.bak
unexpected.tdb      winbindd_privileged

# ls  /var/lib/samba/private/
passdb.tdb  schannel_store.tdb  secrets.tdb  smbpasswd

Best Regards,
Adam