[Samba] Ubuntu client ddns failure

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Tue May 20 22:16:02 MDT 2014

Am 20.05.2014 16:18, schrieb steve:
> On 20/05/14 15:52, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>>
>> not like this.
>>> 127.0.0.1    localhost
>>> 127.0.1.1    lubuntu-laptop.hh3.site    lubuntu-laptop
>>
>> This is simply wrong, and cause by dhcp client at install.
>>
>> better...
>> 127.0.0.1    localhost
>> 192.168.1.22 lubuntu-laptop.hh3.site    lubuntu-laptop
>> for dedicated IP.
>>
>> Do you use resolvconf ( the packages, default is its used ) if so configure it.
>> or configure /etc/network/interfaces  and add the dns-nameserver dns-search dns-domain.
>> when dns-  is used resolvconf adds the info in /etc/resolv.conf
>>
> Hi
> We can't use fixed IP. It's a laptop.
> But tried it anyway and the error is the same. It's still looking for:
> DNS/a.root-servers.net at HH3.SITE: no such entry found in hdb
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 192.168.1.16
> nameserver 127.0.1.1
> search hh3.site dragonet.es
>
> exactly as on our (working) openSUSE boxes, also with dhcp.

Hi Steve,

sorry, i've not followed the whole thread - and dhcp is sometimes a bit tricky.
Just some notes when you use the "dig" tool from ISC - which is very powerful,
but also has lots of options.

In your /etc/resolv.conf beside others you use:
search hh3.site dragonet.es

By default, dig does *not* use that search line from /etc/resolv.conf, but you can
tell it to do so (when you want to only use the hostname for the query):

dig +search lubuntu-laptop

Btw - users sometimes think "more is better" and often place both
domain my.domain.org
search my.domain.org
into /etc/resolv.conf
but "man resolv.conf" clearly states:
 "The  domain  and search keywords are mutually exclusive.
  If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance wins."

Cheers, Günter