[Samba] Irregular crash of samba 3.6.6 (debian wheezy)

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon May 19 10:48:46 MDT 2014

Hello Bill

Am 19.05.2014 16:23, schrieb Bill Arlofski:
> Ivan, I have reported this same issue at least once on this list. The problem
> is the same as yours (monthly, or randomly) each smbd process spawned to
> handle a domain login crashes and core dumps.  No idea what triggers this, but
> once it starts no new logins work until we restart samba (make sure all  smbd
> and nmbd processes are killed off and then restart)
>
> While this is going on, anyone already connected seems to be able to go about
> their business accessing the fileserver with no problems.
>

> We have been seeing this since 3.6.? and have upgraded several times to 3.6.23
> and the problem still haunts us.

Does this still exists in 4.0 and 4.1?

It would surely not be fixed in 3.6 any more, because this tree is since
a half year in security-fixes-only mode.

If it still exists in the maintained versions, you should create a bug
report (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting) including a full
backtrace, to get this fixed soon.

If there's a patch for 4x, maybe your distro vendors would backport it.

Regards,
Marc