[Samba] Zero byte files

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jpilfold-bagwell at bordengrammar.kent.sch.uk
Mon May 19 06:16:19 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I have a Centos 6 box running samba-3.6.9 and I have a problem with
files turning to 0 bytes after being edited and saved. One of the users
reported that he changed the name of two files and both ended up sized 0
bytes and opening them revealed them to be empty.  Has anyone had a
similar problem?  I've been looking for 3 days and there's obvious
pattern to the events occurring.

The box authenticates against a server 2008R2 DC and the config file is
shown below:

[global]
netbios name = FILESERVER1
workgroup = BGS
realm = BORDENGRAMMAR.LDM
security = ads
idmap uid = 10000-50000
idmap gid = 10000-50000
max open files = 100000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind nested groups = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes
winbind use default domain = no
client use spnego = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = no
encrypt passwords = yes
restrict anonymous = 2
log level = 0

[Staff]
path = /staff
comment = Staff Data Directory
browseable = yes
writable = yes
# Valid Users = @Staff
hide files = /desktop.ini/RECYCLER/Thumbs.db/

[Pupils]
path = /pupils
comment = Pupil Data Directory
browseable = yes
writable = yes
hide files = /desktop.ini/RECYCLER/Thumbs.db/

[scripts]
path = /scripts/logons
browseable = yes
writable = yes
hide files = /desktop.ini/RECYCLER/Thumbs.db/

Thanks,

Julian

--
Borden Grammar School,
Avenue of Remembrance,

Tel: 01795 424192

This e-mail is from Borden Grammar School Trust.

This e-mail, together with any files transmitted with it, are
confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised dissemination or
copying of this e-mail or its attachments, and any use or disclosure of
any information contained in them, is strictly prohibited, and may also
be illegal. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use,
disclose,
distribute, copy, print or relay this e-mail.

Please note that any views expressed by an individual within this
e-mail, do not necessarily reflect the views of the Borden Grammar
School Trust. Borden Grammar School Trust has taken reasonable
precautions to ensure no
viruses are present in this e-mail, the Academy cannot accept
responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this
e-mail and/or files attached.

Registered office: Borden Grammar School, Avenue of Remembrance,
Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 4DB

Registered in England: 07827591

.