[Samba] Repository for latest Samba 3.x packaged for Ubuntu Trusty 14.04?

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Fri May 16 01:37:04 MDT 2014

Hi Michael,

> Thank you for the kind / prompt reply.
>
> Must Samba 4.x DC take over DNS? I have an alternate (to what Samba
> 4.x selected) DNS implementation deployed, and understood that moving
> to Samba 4 level code insists on taking over DNS. That to me is the
> biggest fear point.
>
> I would see "Samba 4 DC non AD DC non taking over DNS" as a feasible
> baby step forward. Get some warm fuzzies about all that changed
> between Samba 3.x and Samba 4.x before giving up my DNS implementation
> of choice.
>
> I am thankful,

As far as I know, samba4 can behave _exactly_ like samba3, if you don't
configure it to use Active Domain. So, it should (as far as I know)
basically be a up-t-date drop-in replacement for samba3, as long as you
don't change your smb.conf.

So your dns should not be affected.

But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

MJ