[Samba] Failed to connect host on port 135 - NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Marcel de Reuver marcel at de.reuver.org
Tue May 6 07:16:57 MDT 2014

fi>:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to install Samba4 for a while now, following the
> instructions over at:
>
>  http://linuxdrops.com/install-samba-4-on-centos-rhel-fedora-
> debian-ubuntu/

I hope you did install a more recent version of Samba4 then the one mention
in your howto.....

> However, when I get to the stage where I should be able to join the domain
> with a Windows machine (7, not XP) I run into networking issues. For one,
> my network is behind a NAT so I can't just use a public DNS for this. Since
> Samba4 has its internal DNS server, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

The Samba4 DNS server needs no further configuration, only needs a "dns
fowarder" in smb.conf, in your case it will be your NAT device.
Next your Windows clients should use the Samba4 box for DNS, if not Windows
clients cannot join your AD.

> I tried to figure out what zonelists there are, so that I could add the
> domain there. This is what I get.

With the Windows DNS tools from the RSAT package on a Windows workstation,
you can query your Samba4 internal DNS server. See
here<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Installing_RSAT_on_Windows_for_AD_Management>for
the details on
RSAT

Best regards,