[Samba] Active Directory share strange issue

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Wed Mar 12 13:16:20 MDT 2014

Am 12.03.2014 18:49, schrieb Thomas Schulz:
> In another mail thread someone said that they were running the nmbd daemon
> and the samba daemon together and that allowed browsing to work on a
> Domain Controller. One of the samba developers joined the discussion and
> said that you should not do that. The nmbd daemon and the samba daemon will
> both be trying to do that other stuff and that in time things will get
> messed up.
>
> It may be that Samba 4.2.*, which is what you get from the git master, is
> going to add browsing to a Domain Controller. If so, that might be why you
> had browsing working. Or perhaps you somehow had a nmbd daemon running for
> awhile.

There is a way to get nmbd started, but it's really not recommended. The
browsing support doesn't work like it should. I'd tried it in
production, but the network neighbourhood shows always just a small
bunch of computers - not even all from the same subnet.

I don't know the state of the development of network neighbourhood
functions in Samba AD. It's planned to get it working again. But I guess
there are more important things to fix/implement.

Regards,
Marc