[Samba] Access shares from DNS alias

Valentin Cheche valentin at cheche.ro
Mon Mar 10 04:20:57 MDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Chan Min Wai <dcmwai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Valentin,
>
> I believe it should be a DHCP Server
> there is should be a dns default domain/search domain.
>
> That should be Your domain "timco.int"
>
> so when you type file -- it will goto file.timco.int
>
> of course you can also use the netbios alias like below.

Hi,
   As I said, DNS is working, I could access the server and list the
shares, it is the accessing of the shares that was not allowed when
done via a FQDN other than dc0.timco.int.
My current DNS setup is as bellow:
^
ISP DNS
^
GW DNS (handles internally the oldtim.local suffix, forwards unknown upstream)
^
DC0 DNS (handles internally the new timco.int domain, forwards unknown upstream)
^
Workstations (DHCP hands DNS servers for WS in the following order: DC0, GW)

    While I know the netbios alias is not really  the "cleanest" way
of handling my issue, it is the simplest, it fits the purpose and it
works without flaws.
Plus, this is a temporary migration step so I don't mind it for a few
weeks until I homogenize the environment.

    I'm curious if there is another way to solve this without the
netbios line. Something like the solution for MS Server here (which I
first tried and didn't work out):
http://homeworksblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/connecting-smb-share-with-cname/
http://www.bonusbits.com/main/HowTo:Enable_DNS_Alias_Names_to_Access_Windows_Server_Shares
http://serverfault.com/questions/23823/how-to-configure-windows-machine-to-allow-file-sharing-with-dns-alias