[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 3 15:52:17 MST 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 22:36 +0100, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> Am 03.03.2014 21:38, schrieb Rowland Penny:
> > Marc, I cannot point you to an HowTo, but perhaps you, or anybody, can
> > explain this:
> >
> > If you run 'samba-tool  domain provision --help', amongst everything
> > else is this:
> >
> >    --server-role=ROLE    The server role (domain controller | dc | member
> >                          server | member | standalone). Default is dc.
>

> The 4.0.0 release notes
> (https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html) said:
>
> "Domain member support in the 'samba' binary is in its infancy, and is
> not comparable to the support found in winbindd.  As such, do not use
> the 'samba' binary (provided for the AD server) on a member server."
>

> I can't say if it's still 100% correct in 4.1, but I haven't heard
> anything different yet.
>
> And at least joining on the old way works like in the past. So I think
> this is still the preferred way.

Nothing has changed in that area.  That said, we would welcome patches
that would have the 'samba' binary invoke smbd and winbindd when it
detects it is being run as a domain member server, and shut down the
other AD DC specific components.  It shouldn't be hard to do at all, and
would remove one more element of the technical debt from the Samba 4.0
merge.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--