[Samba] Books of Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:03:58 MST 2014

On 03/03/14 21:36, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
>
> Am 03.03.2014 21:38, schrieb Rowland Penny:
>> Marc, I cannot point you to an HowTo, but perhaps you, or anybody, can
>> explain this:
>>
>> If you run 'samba-tool  domain provision --help', amongst everything
>> else is this:
>>
>>    --server-role=ROLE    The server role (domain controller | dc |
>> member
>>                          server | member | standalone). Default is dc.
>

> The 4.0.0 release notes
> (https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html) said:
>
> "Domain member support in the 'samba' binary is in its infancy, and is
> not comparable to the support found in winbindd.  As such, do not use
> the 'samba' binary (provided for the AD server) on a member server."
>

> I can't say if it's still 100% correct in 4.1, but I haven't heard
> anything different yet.
>
> And at least joining on the old way works like in the past. So I think
> this is still the preferred way.
>

> Regards,
> Marc
Hi Marc, I think that you are missing the point here, if we take what
samba-tool domain provision --help gives us:

--server-role=ROLE    The server role (domain controller | dc | member
                          server | member | standalone). Default is dc.

domain controller & dc are the same thing and this is also the the only
thing that you would/can provision, anything else would involve running
the smbd & nmbd daemons and also possibly the winbind daemon.

It is possible that in the future, we will be able run samba-tool and
get an automatically created smb.conf for a member server or a
standalone machine, but much will have to be done before this can
happen. So given this and the total lack of documentation for
samba-tool, I think this option should be hidden or removed, if not
something should be put on the wiki about using it only to provision a DC.

Rowland