[Samba] Floating IP using heartbeat

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Jun 6 06:01:46 MDT 2014

On 6/5/2014 3:20 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:

> On 6/5/2014 3:01 PM, steve wrote:
>> On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 14:54 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
>>> A second set of servers we're working on. In this scenario, we've will
>>> have two DCs and want to use heartbeat to move the IP from one
>>> server to
>>> the other in the event of unwanted shutdown or stoppage..
>> Hi
>> The DC's can take care of the failover themselves. Not sure why you want
>> to use heartbeat for that.
>>

> We're just getting the second DC started, so we haven't been able to
> see what does work. Googling can be great sometimes, sometimes not.
> I'll relay your info on to the guy playing with those servers.
>
> steve
I just happen to think about this a little. I understand now that the
DCs will take care of themselves. Currently, though, the shares are on
the DC machines also. Am I correct in thinking we'll need a way of
synchronizing this data in the shares?

As we learn more about all of this, it would have been a better decision
to find a smaller machine to become the DCs and these monsters we're
using for the all-purpose servers to have been members of the domain
with just the shares on them. We're still having problems with members,
so maybe not.

What type of loads do DCs encounter by just being a DC? Let's say we
have 250 users and each of those may have 10 shares mapped to drives. I
can see where share servers might experience a fair amount of work
providing those shares. What kind of work load would a separate DC
experience doing it's part of the process?

steve