[Samba] Floating IP using heartbeat

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jun 6 06:46:14 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 08:01 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
> On 6/5/2014 3:20 PM, Steve Campbell wrote:

> >> Hi
> >> The DC's can take care of the failover themselves. Not sure why you want
> >> to use heartbeat for that.
> >>

> > We're just getting the second DC started, so we haven't been able to
> > see what does work. Googling can be great sometimes, sometimes not.
> > I'll relay your info on to the guy playing with those servers.
> >
> > steve
> I just happen to think about this a little. I understand now that the
> DCs will take care of themselves. Currently, though, the shares are on
> the DC machines also. Am I correct in thinking we'll need a way of
> synchronizing this data in the shares?
>
> As we learn more about all of this, it would have been a better decision
> to find a smaller machine to become the DCs and these monsters we're
> using for the all-purpose servers to have been members of the domain
> with just the shares on them. We're still having problems with members,
> so maybe not.
>
> What type of loads do DCs encounter by just being a DC? Let's say we
> have 250 users and each of those may have 10 shares mapped to drives. I
> can see where share servers might experience a fair amount of work
> providing those shares. What kind of work load would a separate DC
> experience doing it's part of the process?
>
> steve

You'll have to make other arrangements for the data, yes. If you have a
choice, throw your best hw at the file servers. For 600 users and 80
workstations our dcs are 8 year old amd semprons with 512Mb of memory.
Even when there is a lot of activity, the biggest load they have is
writing the log file.
HTH
Steve